There are several ways to take a wax bite. We see great results using the following technique. This instructional sheet may be downloaded in the Resources section of our website.
- (Figures 1-2) Fold a sheet of pink base plate wax into thirds to form a rectangle three layers thick.
- (Figures 3-4) Fold the sides of the smaller rectangle in to form an arch-shaped piece six layers thick at the edges.
- Soften the wax in a water bath.
- Lay the wax over the lower arch with the anterior clear of wax to visually align the midline and achieve the desired amount of opening. Use of a jig is recommended.
- Have your patient bite to desired position.
- Remove the wax and cool down.
- (Figure 5) Cut buccal wax away through the occlusion line to visually check for bite opening.
- (Figure 6) Reinsert the wax bite to check for proper opening.
NorthStar Orthodontics - Your complete orthodontic lab.